- Randomly selected species and genus displayed below.
- Click Genus name to view all species in that genus.
- Click menu letter to view all Genera starting with that letter
agathos, = good in their kind; osme, = a smell, scent, odour, whether good or bad. (fragrant oils in the glands of leaves)
Agathosma geniculata (La)
genu,= the knee; -ulus, = diminutive. (node or joint) -atus, = indicates possession or likeness. (with knee-joints; having knots, jointed) (geniculate, bent abruptly like a knee, ‘with bended knee’)
The 2516 species, 625 genera and 172 families of plants have been compiled from the lists of the plants:
- of the Hermanus Botanical Society compiled by Lee Burman, for the plants in the Fernkloof Nature Reserve, and the Vogelgat Private Nature Reserve, Hermanus
- of Mark Johns, Director of the Kogelberg Reserve, and of COASTEC, environmental consultants, for the plants in the Kogelberg Nature Reserve, Betty’s Bay, in the WesternCape Province, South Africa.
Suggestions for improvements to the lists and comments would be welcomed.